You can make Chin chin right from your kitchen anywhere with step by step guide. Wondering how to make chin chin or simply put, how to prepare chin chin? get here for chin chin recipes guide.
Chin chin is a popular fried pastry common amongst the Africans, most especially the Westerners. It can be prepared in numerous ways, but the most common varieties are usually crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
If I would even tell you what chin chin is, I’d say “it is a small [Nigerian] cookie-like snack made from fried [wheat] flour dough containing eggs, butter, sugar and sometimes also cowpeas to name a few ingredients.
Les Croquettes as the French calls Chin chin. Making chin chin, a crunchy and tasty one is fun. Why not get yourself ready for chin chin recipe treat.
Traditionally, the pastry is fried, but you can bake it if you are looking for another alternative means of getting chin chin prepared .
Some things you might need for preparing chin chin includes: Bowls, Mixing spoon or whisk, Pastry blender or fork, Extra flour, Plastic wrap, Rolling pin, Knife, Frying pan, Plate, Clean paper towels, Sieve and Serving platter.
- 5 cups (2.5 L) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 9 Tbsp (135 ml) butter, softened and cubed
- 2-3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- Canola oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Don’t need stories? Check out fast lane, express instructions on how to make chin chin.
Fast Lane Instructions
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, milk and spices.
- Rub to crumbs the dry ingredients: flour, butter, baking powder, ground nutmeg and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients together: egg, milk, vanilla, etc
- Pour both wet and dry ingredients and mix to form a dough.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and knead till its even.
- Cut the dough to sizes and shapes
- Heat oil in a large pan and start frying chin chin in small batches.
- Fry each batch until golden brown then remove and place on paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Preferred more detailed explanations? Read through well elaborated how to prepare chin chin guide below too.
How to Prepare
Start the act
- In a large bowl, mix together the sifted flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and sugar until evenly combined. Note that, other spices could also be used or if you can blend it well with nutmeg
- Sprinkle the cut butter over the surface of the dry ingredients. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into these ingredients, continuing until the butter is evenly dispersed and until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. The butter must be softened and cut into small cubes before you add it to the dry ingredients.
- Now mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well-blended. Add the vanilla and whisk again until it, also, is evenly combined with the other ingredients.
- Gradually pour the the dry and wet ingredients together. Form a parting in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the egg mixture inside this parting, then gradually mix the dry ingredients from the sides into the center. Continue mixing until the wet and dry ingredients are fully mixed.
- Next, you knead the dough. Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead the dough by hand several times, just long enough for it to become smooth and somewhat elastic.
- Extra: if you wish, you can wrap the dough in plastic wrap or place it back into its bowl. Place it in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
Make the art
- Aftermath, removed it from the refrigerator and place the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out until it is an even 1/6 inch thick all the way around.
- Cut the dough into small squares. Use a knife to cut the kneaded dough to your preferred shape and sizes. You could make the pieces a little bigger, if desired, but keep in mind that larger pieces will take longer to cook.
Act the art
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Pour 1/2 to 1 inch (1.25 to 2.5 cm) canola or vegetable oil until a medium skillet or saucepan. Heat on high until it reaches a temperature required for frying.
- Fry the chin chin in batches. Add the chin chin pieces to the hot oil one handful at a time. Fry for 3 to 8 minutes, turning only as needed, until the pieces turn golden-brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels. Remove the fried chin chin using a slotted spoon. Place them on a plate lined with clean paper towels to drain off the excess oil. Repeat the frying and draining steps until the entire batch has been cooked.
Well done, your chin chin is ready. You can store your chin chin for some time as it takes a long period for chin chin to spoil.
Thanks for joining us for chin chin recipes today. You can also share with your famz, tell ’em you already know “how to make chin chin“.