How To Make Savoury Moi-moi
You can make Moi-moi (Moin-moin) right from your kitchen. Wondering how to make moi-moi or simply put, how to prepare moi-moi? Get in here for moin-moin recipes step by step guide.
Moi-moi or Moin-Moin is a Nigerian steamed bean pudding made from a mixture of washed and peeled beans, onions and fresh ground peppers. It is a protein-rich food that is a staple in Nigeria. Some adaptations also put apples, eggs, smoked fish or corn-beef in MoiMoi.
Moin Moin is a healthy Nigerian snack or meal accompaniment prepared with steamed cooking. It can be enjoyed at different times of the day - breakfast, lunch or dinner - and by people of all ages.
It is commonly served at parties, wedding receptions and other occasions. It is usually served alongside Jollof Rice, Fried Rice, Fried Plantain, Custard, Pap, etc. Moi-moi can also be eaten alone as a snack.
This delicious meal can be cooked in various ways. It can be cooked in Moi-Moi Bowls and Aluminum foil. However the most common method is cooking it in Banana Leaves.
Here is how to make Moi-moi at home.
- 700g of brown beans (1 big tin)
- Red bell pepper (Tatashe pepper)
- Bonnet pepper (Atarodo)
- Vegetable Oil
- Crayfish (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons of Groundcrayfish
- 2 large onion bulbs
- Boiled Eggs, corn beef or smoked fish (optional)
- Water as needed
Don't need stories? Check out fast lane, express instructions on how to make moi-moi
- Soak the beans in water for a few hours, wash to remove the thin outer coat.
- Wash by squeezing and sieving the beans till you are left with the white beans.
- Add beans, onions, crayfish (optional), atarodo and tatashe in a big clean bowl for grinding.
- While still in the bowl, add Vegetable Oil about 8 to 10 cl to the grinded mix, seasoning, fish stock water (optional) and salt to taste. Taste the entire mixture.
- Add corned beef, smoked or cooked fish or boiled eggs (after removing the shell) while distributing the whole mixture into aluminium foil or plastic bowls or banana leaves.
- Distribute in as many aluminium/plastic bowls as possible or moi-moi wrappers (banana leaf).
After the distribution you can drop into the cooking pot.
- Arrange the wrapped moi-moi or packaged moi-moi carefully in the pot
- Add water simultaneously making sure it doesn't top the first bowl. Cover tightly and cook for about 30 to 50 minutes adding water at interval to avoid burning when necessary.
- You can bring out one of the bowls after cooking for 40 minutes to check if it is done, check again after a few minutes.
- Serve with Pap (Ogi/Akamu), rice, bread or custard.
Preferred more detailed explanations? Read through well elaborated how to prepare moi-moi guide below too.
Before cooking Moi-Moi
- Few hours before cooking the moi moi, soak and wash the beans to soften and remove the coat.
- When the entire coat has been removed , place the beans in a bowl and pour enough water to cover it. Leave to soak for more few hours.
- If you want to use eggs, boil the eggs and remove the shells.
- Slice the boiled eggs into small pieces and set aside .
- Now wash your plastic/aluminium bowl or container you will use to cook each moi-moi or banana leaves and set aside .
- Wash the tatashe pepper and Cut the onions into pieces .
- Set the ground cray fish aside .
- Crush the stock cubes and set aside .
- Wash the scotch bonnet peppers and set aside .
- It is time to blend the beans. You can blend it at home or take it to commercial blenders outside to grind your washed beans, tatashe pepper, onion for you.
Start making the Moi- Moi
- Blend or grind the beans, tatashe or tomato puree, onions, crayfish, habanero pepper together with some of the water and pour the mix into a big enough bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Slowly add the remaining water and stir the mixture at the same time till you get a good mix of all the ingredients.
- Add salt to taste.
- Fold the banana leaves into a cone shape.
- Dish the Moi moi mix into the banana leaves or your preferred container; then add eggs, smoked fish or corn beef (optional), and set them in the pot.
- The duration at which your Moi- Moi will be finally cooked depends on the quantity and the Moi-Moi container you used. Cook your Moi -Moi for at least 50 minutes, before checking it .
- If everything is done and well cooked, you can serve the moi-moi with pap (Ogi/Akamu), rice, bread, custard.
- #BBNaijaFinale: Mercy wins Big Brother Nigeria 2019, see how Nigerians voted
- Don Jazzy states why weed should be legalized in Nigeria
- BBNaija: Mike’s Wife Lands In Nigeria For The First Time
- Genevieve’s ‘lionheart’ to represent Nigeria at 2020 Oscars
- Celebrating Nigeria’s Independence Day? American Singer, Kelly Rowland stuns in green and white
- Little boy performs Davido’s ‘blow my mind’ (Video)
- Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke turns 43 (photos)
- “Today Makes It 1 Year Since I Quit Smoking” — Don Jazzy
- Nigerians blast Lady for organising a rally for Tacha (video)
- King Sunny Ade clocks 73