Learn how to make pancakes now with our easy to understand guide. Checkout our Pancake recipe with one of the best Nigerian Chef.
Pancakes is a thin batter cake fried in a pan or on a griddle in oil or butter. Pancake is one sort of breakfast delicacy adopted or synonymous in Nigeria to the traditional Akara (Beans cake).
In Nigeria, making pancakes seams so easy that ever mother will love to make it at least every weekend for her family.
Here is just a simple know-how piece of steps to follow while making Nigerian pancakes.
Pancake is one serious source of protein (in egg), carbohydrate (in the flour), fats and oil (in butter or vegetable oil) to name a few.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/3 cup Margarine
- 11/2 cups Milk (3 tablespoons powdered milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup or 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Some Chopped pepper
- Some Chopped Onion
How to prepare
- Measure out the quantity of flour and baking powder, then sieve together into a bowl. Grate the nutmeg into the flour.
- Put the margarine is a bowl and melt in the microwave or in hot water to melt the margarine.
- Break the egg into the melted margarine and beat till smooth.
- Mix the milk, salt, sugar, ground pepper, onion and water, then stir well.
- Mix all the ingredients solution above together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and blend well. Better still just make sure you mix the ingredients very well so that the lumps are minimal.
- Allow the pancake batter to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Set a frying pan over medium heat. Add a few drops of vegetable oil. Just enough to lubricate the frying pan.
- When hot, pour some pancake batter into the frying pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter coats the surface of the pan evenly.
- Fry the under and upper side of the pancake by flipping or turning the well fried pancake batter.
- Make sure you fry in small quantities till golden brown hue is achieved. The Nigerian pancakes is ready.
- Serve warm and nicely.
More Spiced Pancakes
Need a bit more spiced up approach? Check it out below.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and then whisk in the milk and vanilla.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Whisk the butter into the milk mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and whisk until a thick batter is just formed.
- Keeping the skillet at medium heat, ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet, to make a pancake. Make 1 or 2 more pancakes, taking care to keep them evenly spaced apart. Cook, until bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, and the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about 1 minute more on the second side. Serve immediately or transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet as needed.
- Procedure for adding fruit to pancakes: Once the bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, scatter the surface with sliced or diced fruit, or chocolate chips, nuts, etc. Flip with a spatula and cook for 1 minute more, being careful not to burn toppings.