You can make Ogbono Soup right from your kitchen anywhere. Wondering how to cook Ogbono Soup or simply put, how to prepare Ogbono Soup? get here for Ogbono Soup recipes step by step guide.
Ogbono soup (draw soup) is a Nigerian dish made with ground dry ogbono (the local name for Irvingia) seeds, with considerable local variation. The ground ogbono seeds are used as a thickener, and give the soup a black coloration.
Out of various ingredients are seeds, water, palm oil, meat, seasonings such as chili pepper, leaf vegetables such as spinarch, bitterleaf and celosia and other vegetables such as okra. Typical seasonings include chiles, onions, and iru (fermented locust beans).
Ogbono soup is in different variations, one with no added vegetables, the other with vegetables. Another Ogbono soup recipes variation is Ogbono Soup with Okra or latest fancy Ogbono soup with added Egusi.
Ogbono Soup Ingredients
- Assorted Meat and Fish
- 2 Handfuls Ogbono Seeds
- 3 Cooking Spoons Red Palm Oil
- Favourite Vegetable: Frozen Spinach, Pumpkin Leaves Or even Bitterleaf
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Crayfish
- Pepper And Salt
- 1 Onion
- 2 Stock/Seasoning/Boullion Cubes
- Grind the Ogbono seed with a dry mill or blender or any coffee blender.
- Cut the frozen vegetables when it is not completely defrosted. It is easier that way. Then when completely defrosted, squeeze out the excess water.
- Cook the assorted meat with the stock cubes and onion.
- Grind your crayfish and pepper.
- Boil some water aside.
How to cook Ogbono Soup
- Mount your pot on cooking gas, stove or any cooker you are using.
- Pour the palm oil into a clean dry pot to melt the oil.
- Once melted, turn off the heat or drop and add the ground Ogbono.
- Use your cooking spoon to press and dissolve the Ogbono in the oil.
- When all the Ogbono powder has completely mixed with the oil, add the meat/fish stock.
- Reduce the heat of your cooker and stir. With this, Ogbono start to thicken and become slimy.
- Keep stirring till the Ogbono has completely absorbed the meat stock.
- Add a small quantity of the hot water and stir till the Ogbono has absorbed all the water.
- Add more of the meat stock or water and leave to boil for 10 minutes; Stir the soup constantly so that it does not burn at the bottom.
- Then add the cooked dry fish, stock fish, assorted meat, stock cube, pepper, the ground crayfish and salt to taste.
- Mix well , cover and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes, you should check on it and stir the soup to prevent burning.
- At this stage , you will notice the change in the aroma of the soup.
- If you don't want to add vegetables to your Ogbono, off the cooker and serve but if you do read on.
- Stir and add the vegetables
- Simmer for 2-4 minute and put off the cooker. Now your Ogbono soup is ready.
Ogbono Soup can be eaten with fufu, pounded yam, or with rice. In other countries the soup may be available in packaged prepared form in some markets that specialize in Western African foods. Ogbono soup has a mucilaginous (slimy) texture, similar to okra soup from which it got its "draw soup" name.
Hope you love this recipe? Kindly share with famz.