During the menstrual cycle, the uterus contracts when the blood leaves your uterus and sheds its lining. The lining of the uterus produces a hormone or special substances called prostaglandins which trigger the cramping and pain. Some women produce higher levels of prostaglandins and experience more severe cramps.
Several conditions can cause secondary dysmenorrhea and these include:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Uterine fibroids and uterine polyps
- Use of an intrauterine (IUD) device
- Dull, throbbing pain in the lower abdomen
- Pain that extends to lower back and thighs
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
Tips to Prevent Menstrual Cramp
- Exercise regularly by walking, cycling, stretching or doing pilates
- Soak in a warm bath to relieve pain
- Use a heating pad on your lower back or abdomen
- Try drinking ginger tea to reduce nausea and chamomile tea to soothe cramps
- Make yourself as comfortable as possible – wear track pants, socks and curl up with your blanket
- Massage the affected area with arnica or aromatherapy oil
- Increase your intake of vitamin supplements such as zinc and calcium
- Reduce your intake of salt to help reduce bloating
- Get plenty of rest
- Eating a pinch of Asafoetida kept inside a Banana fruit pulp or Asafoetifa with jaggery and drinking hot water helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Eating a spoon of Fenugreek seeds with a cup of Buttermilk helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Eating Black Sesame seeds powder with hot Milk during menstruation helps to get relief from stomach ache.
- Putting a wet cloth on the naval area cools the stomach helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Dry Ginger and jaggery boiled in water, filtered and drinking this decoction helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Drinking Half spoon of neem leaf juice mixed with one fourth spoon of Ginger juice helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Mustard seeds powdered and boiled in water. A cloth dipped in this hot solution can be put on the stomach which helps to reduce stomach ache during menstruation.
- Eating Carom seeds (Ajwain) and jaggery with pure Ghee helps to reduce stomech ache during menstruation.
- Aniseeds boiled in water, filtered and drinking this decoction with a spoon of Honey helps in reducing stomach ache during menstruation.
- Guava fruit pulp without seeds mixed in Milk with honey, taken reduces stomach ache during menstruation.
- Eating Radish and Radish leaves helps in controlling stomach ache during menstruation.
- Black Cotton leaves grinded and mixed with Milk, drinking this milk helps in reducing stomach ache during menstruation.