Marriage prayer for singles and married couples. Over 200 marriage prayer points with biblical scripture references.
Being in love good, being loved is better and it is the best when marriage caps it all. Harville Hendrix once said “Marriage ultimately, is the practice of becoming passionate friends” which is true.
Then marriage itself opines that: Love is the reason. Lifelong friendship is the gift. Kindness is the cause. Til’ death do us part is the length.
Maggie Reyes says, “Marriages are like fingerprints; each one is different and each one is beautiful”.
Nowadays, marriage looks beautiful only in the movies. Only a few marriages out of lots really work out, that’s when they admit that they are meant for each.
Partners have to determine to walk through all together as one.
God knows the importance of marriage, and designed it to be a cradle for families. We ought to stand up for our marriages, most especially with prayers.
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Revelation 12:11
Prayer for Marriages was written to lift up and encourage the body of believers and become overcomers in their respective marriages.
Marriage Prayer Points
Begin your prayer with thanksgiving, ask for forgiveness of your sins, then talk to God about the main point you’re driving at, close your prayer with thanksgiving once more all in the presence of faith.
Below are some marriage prayer points you can say.
- Father we thank you for wonderful wives. We pray for longevity. Grace them in their day to day lives for fruitful and fulfilling marriages. Grant husbands grace to love and cherish the gift that is their wives.
- May no shame be her portion. She will be a source of pride for her husband and her children, in Jesus’ name.
- Lord give us grace to pursue a worthy life partner.
- Show us value, and make us valuable to potential mates.
- Teach us to identify and appreciate one another’s value.
- Lord teach us to not dwell on one another’s shortcomings, but to love through it all.
- We will love fervently, as Christ loved. May our love cover the faults of our loved ones.
- Lord, may we brought together by reverence to you.
- You are the foundation of our relationships.
- Anything that we haven’t built on you, may it not stand.
- We choose to build on the rock that is Christ.
- We submit to our wives and husbands for your glory, oh Lord.
- May our marriages be established and unbreakable.
- Lord teach us to love like you do.
- May our love be seen in our actions and heard in our words of affirmation to our loved ones.
- May our actions be guided love, in all that we do.
- Lord give us loyal partners to walk through life with, they have become rare.
- Grant us grace to go the extra mile for our loved ones.
- Father we pray for fruitful and fulfilling marriages. Open our eyes to traits in ourselves that may be a hindrance to this.
- Open our eyes to opportunity to sow seed of love and in love.
- May our hearts be consumed by your love, that we would not contain but share the fruit of your love.
- Father soften our hearts. Soften the wives and husbands’ hearts. Cast away all pain and hurt. Cast away all bitter in Jesus’ name.
- Teach us to forgive, and grant grace to a point where it hurts.
- Father, you have continued to forgive us, may we show that same love to others.
- Heal us of hurt, open our hearts oh Lord.
- Father we pray for all husbands, give them grace to be of a patient and understanding disposition.
- Father teach husbands to honour their wives. Lord, may their weaknesses be strengthened by their wives’ strengths, and their strengths be their husbands’ strengths in Jesus’ name.
- May husbands never look down upon their wives, but view them as equals. In the name of Jesus!
- Let our prayers bear results, in Jesus’ name.
- Father may our marriages bring you honour. Where we have brought you dishonour, we repent.
- Lord where we have been wronged and taken our eyes off you to focus on our hurt, help us look up to you.
- Where our marriage beds have brought you dishonour, father forgive us.
- Father, forgive us for infidelity on our part, or an unforgiving nature where we have been wronged.
- May your judgement be merciful in Jesus’ name. Amen
- Father may our eyes be in covenant with you. To not look upon others wives and husbands. Where we have looked in lust, Lord forgive us.
- Any adulterous desires be cast away in Jesus’ name. Amen
Marriage Prayers Notes
- Adoration – “My beloved is mine and I am his.” Song of Solomon 2:16
- Belief – “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household.” Acts 16:31
- Blessing – “He blesses the home of the righteous.” Prov. 3:33
- Commitment – “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecc. 4:12
- Courage – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Josh. 1:9
- Discernment – “And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.” Phil. 1:9-10
- Encouragement – “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29
- Endurance – “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.” 1 Cor. 13:7-8
- Faithfulness – “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.” Prov. 3:3-4
- Favour – “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us, establish the work of our hands…” Ps. 90:17
- Forgiveness – “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Eph. 4:32
- Friendship – “Two are better than one…if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion.” Ecc. 4:9-10
- Fruitfulness – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Gal. 5:22-23
- Generosity – “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Prov. 11:25
- Gentleness – “Walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Eph. 4:1-3
- Grace – “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Col. 4:6
- Health – “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” Prov. 16:24
- Hope – “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you hope and a future.” Jer. 29:11
- Humility – “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Phil. 2:3-4
- Integrity – “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.” Prov. 10:9
- Intimacy – “Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.” 1 Cor. 7:5
- Joy – “May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.” Prov. 5:18
- Kindness – “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” Prov. 31:26
- Love – “May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other…” 1Thess. 3:12
- Oneness – “They are no longer two but one flesh. What God has joined together, let no man separate.” Matt. 19:6
- Peace – “May there be peace within your walls…” Ps. 122:7
- Protection – “The Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.” 2 Thess. 3:3
- Provision – “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:19
- Purity – “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” Ps. 19:14
- Purpose – “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Rom. 8:28
- Respect – “Let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.” Eph. 5:33
- Self-Control – “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Tim. 1:7
- Servant-Hearted – “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Josh. 24:15
- Strength – “The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.” Ps. 29:11
- Submission – “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” Eph. 5:21
- Thankfulness – “Pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thess. 5:17-18
- Trust – “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.” 1 John 4:18
- Understanding – “Husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way…” 1 Peter 3:7
- Value – “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” Prov. 31:10
- Wisdom – “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Prov. 4:23
Father, your greatest command was to love You and love each other ( Matthew 22:36-40 ). You’ve given marriage as a holy relationship that reflects our relationship with You. Show us how to follow your example and set aside our selfishness and pride and humbly serve each other. Help us to be of one spirit and of one mind and value each other above ourselves, looking out for each other’s interests ( Philippians 2:2-4 ). In the midst of our busy lives, help us take time to love each other deeply from the heart, as you have loved us ( Ephesians 5:1-2 ). May the love we have for each other be an example to the world of how You love them and gave Your life for them.
Father, help us not to just go to church on Sunday, but to recognize that your presence goes with us wherever we go. May we know a deep communion with you every day. May our marriage be a place where we grow together and lean on You in every situation. Help us to grow to be more like You every day, having a unity in Spirit, being patient, humble and gentle with each other, and bearing each other’s burdens with Your love and strength. Fill our marriage with Your peace. When a struggle or strife arises, may our first response be to come to You together for help. Help us make talking about You and Your Word a priority. We ask your Spirit to help us understand Your Word and grow together in our love and service to You.
Father, life gets so busy and things can creep into our marriage and cause distance. Help us be intentional in spending time together and reveal things that are creating a chasm in our relationship. Protect us from things that will divide us, whether it be time spent online or a gameal activity or a friendship that is taking away from our marriage. Help us know how to remedy the situation and bring a closeness back into our marriage with You at the center.
Father, enable us to forgive each other as You have forgiven us. Help us not to hold onto bitterness, keep records of wrong, or allow the enemy any foothold in our relationship. Keep our hearts sensitive to You and each other, and move us to the work of reconciliation quickly. When we are wounded, help us be honest with each other and not fear retaliation. Help us to work through our differences in a way that honors You and strengthens our relationship. Help us grow in humility and recognize when we have wounded each other. Give us Your strength to ask for and give forgiveness.
Marriage Prayers Backings
Be gentle and forbearing with one another and, if one has a difference (a grievance or complaint) against another, readily pardoning each other; even as the Lord has freely forgiven you, so must you also forgive. Colossians 3:13
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men this is impossible, but all things are possible with God.” Matthew 19:26
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. James 4:7
Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 3:33
O keep me, Lord, and deliver me; let me not be ashamed or disappointed, for my trust and my refuge are in You. Psalm 25:20
Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16
If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes. 2 Corinthians 2:10
Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. Matthew 12:25
Marriage Scriptural Advice
Husbands, love your wives (be affectionate and sympathetic with them) and do not be harsh or bitter or resentful toward them. Colossians 3:19
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Colossians 3:18
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. Proverbs 18:22
House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD. Proverbs 19:14
Let your fountain of human life be blessed with the rewards of fidelity, and rejoice in the wife of your youth. Proverbs 5:18
Who so loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father; but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance. Proverbs 29:3
Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character. 1 Corinthians 15:33