Isi Ewu is a dish that’s normally mistaken for the dish Nkwobi as a result of they each have comparable components. However, simply because the identify rings, Isi Ewu means goat’s head which is the principle ingredient and difference to Nkwobi. Peculiar to South-eastern Nigeria, a celebration isn’t full within the absence of Isi Ewu.
- 1 Goat head
- 2 teaspoon of Ehuru (calabash nutmeg)
- 1 handful of sliced Utazi leaves
- 1 teaspoon of edible potash (akaun)
- three cubes of seasoning
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 tbsps of blended contemporary pepper
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 tbsp of crayfish (non-compulsory)
- Salt to style
Goat head has a thick bone and comes with a sooth crammed pores and skin. Be positive to inform the butcher to scrape and reduce into items whereas ensuring that important components stay complete such because the ear, tongue and the mind. The mind is put aside from the remainder of the meat as a result of it’s used additionally as a thickener for the sauce.
Before we cook dinner, be sparing in your use of water, you want little water for the inventory.
- In a pot, place the meat with the mind included, including an onion (grated), the seasoning, a tablespoon of pepper, salt, water and permit to boil till the meat is tender.
- While the meat boils, slice the opposite onions into rings, dissolve potash with slightly quantity of water and sieve.
- Some time into the meat boiling, take out the mind and place in a small mortar, add the opposite spoon of blended pepper and mash. When the meat is prepared, separate inventory from meat.
- Pour oil into one other dry pot. Little by little, pour potash into the oil and stir with a spatula till palm oil turns yellow and thicken.
- Add the mashed mind, the inventory of the meat, ehuru, crayfish, and proceed to stir till blended.
- Place the meat into the combination and stir. Turn on the warmth, till steaming sizzling.
- Garnish with sliced onion rings and utazi leaves. Serve in a small wood mortar.