Are you wanting to create an eCommerce retailer with WooCommerce? If so, you’re making an amazing choice! But you may need assistance getting began with the nitty-gritty particulars of truly putting in and configuring a working WooCommerce retailer.
If that sounds such as you – you then’re the proper individual to be studying this WooCommerce tutorial.
I’ll cowl all the pieces that you simply want to do to get began with WooCommerce whereas offering a lot of screenshots so that you could simply observe alongside. There’s loads to cowl so let’s get began!
- 1 Why WooCommerce Is The Right Tool To Launch An eCommerce Store on WordPress
- 2 What You’ll Learn In This WooCommerce Tutorial
- 3 Step 0: Choose Solid WordPress Hosting So Your Store Runs Fast
- 4 Step 1: Choose A WooCommerce-Compatible WordPress Theme
- 5 Step 2: Install And Configure WooCommerce Basic Settings
- 6 Step 3: Create Your First WooCommerce Product
- 7 Step 4: Set Up WooCommerce Payment Gateways
- 8 Step 5: Configure The Rest Of Your WooCommerce Store Settings
- 9 How To Manage WooCommerce Orders
- 10 How To Create WooCommerce Coupons
- 11 How To View WooCommerce Reports
- 12 Some Helpful WooCommerce Extension Plugins For More Functionality
- 13 Get Out There And Start Selling Stuff!
Why WooCommerce Is The Right Tool To Launch An eCommerce Store on WordPress
According to BuiltWith, WooCommerce is the most well-liked eCommerce platform among the many 10,000 most visited web sites on this planet at 11% market share. If you increase that search to all the Internet, that quantity shoots up to a dominant 42% market share.
Needless to say, there are a variety of WooCommerce shops constructed on WooCommerce…
So what makes WooCommerce so common? Here are just a few of the principle causes people love WooCommerce:
- Powered by WordPress. That means you get entry to the huge third-party theme and plugin ecosystems that each one the opposite WordPress websites get.
- Flexible. Tying with the earlier level, you could find a plugin to make it easier to do just about something that you really want.
- Self hosted. While self-hosting does require extra consideration, it additionally provides you 100% management over your retailer and all its information.
- Easy to discover assist. Because of WordPress and WooCommerce’s recognition, it’s simple to discover each free help boards in addition to gifted builders.
So for those who’re prepared to launch an eCommerce retailer with WooCommerce, let’s end up the why and begin digging into the how to!
What You’ll Learn In This WooCommerce Tutorial
Here’s all the pieces that you simply’ll study on this information:
- Where to discover a good WooCommerce appropriate WordPress theme
- How to configure WooCommerce’s fundamental settings with its set up wizard
- How to create your very first WooCommerce product
- Why (and the way) to arrange some WooCommerce cost gateways (utilizing Stripe for instance)
- Where to poke round to configure different smaller WooCommerce settings
- How to handle issues like orders, coupons, and experiences
Basically, for those who observe this WooCommerce tutorial you ought to be in a position to go from “zero” to “fully functioning WooCommerce store” very quickly.
Step 0: Choose Solid WordPress Hosting So Your Store Runs Fast
Hosting is a vital consideration to your WooCommerce retailer for 2 causes:
- Page load occasions have a surprisingly large effect on how seemingly people are to purchase out of your retailer.
- WooCommerce websites are a bit extra useful resource intensive than common WordPress websites, particularly for those who’re planning to promote a lot of merchandise.
As a consequence, you need to plan to spend a bit greater than you'd on funds shared internet hosting. We’ve put collectively a big list of managed WordPress hosts that ought to do the trick.
And on a private notice, I’m a giant fan of Kinsta as a result of it masses quick and is constructed to deal with WooCommerce.
Once you could have a stable basis to construct your WooCommerce retailer on, you’re prepared to transfer on.
Step 1: Choose A WooCommerce-Compatible WordPress Theme
Before you begin putting in and configuring WooCommerce, you need to select a WooCommerce-compatible WordPress theme that can set you up for fulfillment.
While most themes these days include WooCommerce help built-in, it’s nonetheless not common. WooCommerce ought to nonetheless run with any WordPress theme – but when your theme doesn’t have built-in compatibility, your retailer may find yourself:
That’s the very last thing that you really want if you’re making an attempt to promote merchandise!
So the place can you discover themes that work nicely with WooCommerce?
First off, we put collectively a big list of responsive WooCommerce themes. But past that record, listed below are another good locations to look:
Once you discover a WooCommerce theme that you simply love (I’ll use the free Storefront theme for my instance), you'll be able to install and activate it like any other WordPress theme.
Step 2: Install And Configure WooCommerce Basic Settings
After you select a WooCommerce theme, the following step in your WooCommerce journey is to set up the plugin and full the setup wizard.
While the setup wizard doesn’t configure all the pieces, it helps you rapidly configure the essential constructing block settings of your web site. Here’s how to use it…
Step 1: Install And Activate The WooCommerce Plugin
WooCommerce is offered on the WordPress.org plugin listing, so you'll be able to set up it just like you would any other WordPress plugin:
Once you activate the plugin, it ought to instantly launch you into the setup wizard:
Let’s undergo the wizard step-by-step…
Step 2: Store setup Tab
In the Store setup tab, you want to enter some fundamental (however crucial) data. That data is:
- Your retailer’s tackle
- Your desired forex
- Whether you’re planning to promote simply bodily or digital merchandise (or each!)
Once you fill within the data, click on Let’s go! to proceed.
Step 3: Payment Tab
In the Payment tab, you'll be able to select to activate some fundamental cost gateways:
- Stripe – enables you to settle for credit score and debit card funds
- PayPal – enables you to receives a commission by way of any PayPal technique
Honestly – this tab isn’t too vital proper now since you:
- Can simply change these settings later
- Can entry 100+ different cost gateways afterward
- Still want to full additional setup to get the cost gateways working
So principally – don’t stress an excessive amount of proper now. If you’re unsure which cost gateway you need to use, leaving it because the default of Stripe is completely advantageous for now:
When you’re performed, click on Continue.
Step 4: Shipping Tab
In the Shipping tab, you'll be able to arrange:
- How to calculate delivery charges
- Which weight and dimension models to use
Most of the time, you need to go away these because the defaults. But for those who don’t need to calculate reside delivery charges, you may also select to use:
Once you make your selection, click on Continue.
Step 5: Extras Tab
Taxes can get sophisticated – so for those who don’t need to cope with determining how to calculate them by your self, you'll be able to activate Automated Taxes within the Extras tab.
With this, WooCommerce will routinely set up the free WooCommerce Services plugin in order that it will possibly routinely cost the proper tax price when a buyer checks out.
You don’t have to use this, however I feel it’s useful so I’ll allow it:
Click Continue if you make your selection.
Step 6: Activate Tab
Assuming you selected to:
- Calculate reside delivery charges
- Automatically calculate tax charges
Then you’ll want to join your web site to the Jetpack plugin to proceed. Jetpack is constructed by Automattic, the identical firm behind WooCommerce, so that is completely secure to do.
Just click on Connect with Jetpack and observe the prompts:
Once you end – that’s it! You ought to see a display screen telling you that You’re prepared to begin promoting!
Next up – it’s time to begin creating some merchandise!
Step 3: Create Your First WooCommerce Product
While you’ll nonetheless want to full just a few extra configuration steps earlier than you’re prepared to begin promoting, at this level you could have a largely purposeful eCommerce retailer that you would be able to begin including merchandise to.
To create a brand new WooCommerce product:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard
- Click on Products → Add New
You ought to see one thing that appears loads just like the common WordPress editor:
In the common WordPress Editor bins, you'll be able to enter the product’s:
- Long description (as opposed to the separate Short Description)
If you scroll down the web page, you’ll get to the meat of the WooCommerce Product information.
First, select the kind of product, in addition to whether or not or not the product is digital and/or Downloadable. This support article as a full rationalization of the totally different product sorts, however more often than not you'll be able to select the Simple product choice:
Then, you need to use the sidebar tabs to configure all of the nitty gritty particulars about your product.
You’ll have totally different tabs relying on the kind of product that you simply select, however right here’s the way it appears for the most typical Simple product:
- General – covers pricing (common and sale) in addition to tax data
- Inventory – enables you to add an SKU and handle inventory standing
- Shipping – enables you to add dimensions for delivery in addition to a customized delivery class (for grouping merchandise)
- Linked Products – it is a advertising tactic that permits you to hyperlink the product to related merchandise for upsells and cross-sells
- Attributes – enables you to add customized data (referred to as “attributes”) that's distinctive to the product
- Advanced – enables you to add a customized buy notice to prospects in addition to allow/disable buyer critiques
Below that, you'll be able to set the Product brief description.
And within the sidebar, you'll be able to:
- Add categories and tags to your product
- Add the principle product picture
- Add a gallery of product photographs
Once you fill out the entire data, you’re prepared to Publish your product.
Put all of it collectively, and you need to get one thing like this on the front-end:
Notice the difference between the lengthy and brief description?
At this level – you’re prepared to rinse and repeat the method for extra merchandise.
Step 4: Set Up WooCommerce Payment Gateways
Ok, at this level your retailer is 99% functioning. You have merchandise and people might be in a position to add these merchandise to their cart and begin the checkout course of, however they received’t give you the chance to take a look at since you haven’t configured your cost gateway(s) but.
To try this, go to your WordPress dashboard and:
- Go to WooCommerce → Settings
- Click on the Checkout tab
- Choose your required cost gateway from the choices on the high
I’ll cowl Stripe – however you may also select one of many different cost choices. And you may also find more payment gateways here.
To configure Stripe for WooCommerce, you’ll want to:
- Create a free Stripe account
- Find your Live Secret Key and Live Publishable Key (you'll be able to find them here after you create your account)
- Paste these values into your WordPress dashboard
- Configure the remainder of the choices as desired
Make certain to click on Save Changes on the backside and your cost gateway needs to be reside!
Step 5: Configure The Rest Of Your WooCommerce Store Settings
At this level, your retailer needs to be totally working. But you’ll nonetheless most likely need to dig into the WooCommerce settings space to configure a number of the extra nitty-gritty particulars like:
- Customer registration (Accounts tab)
- Automatic emails (Emails tab)
- Coupons (Checkout tab)
I encourage you to discover all the Settings space so that you've got an intensive understanding of all of the little choices which might be out there to you:
How To Manage WooCommerce Orders
Once your retailer begins getting orders, you'll be able to handle them at a excessive degree by going to WooCommerce → Orders:
You can even use the Actions column to rapidly:
- Change an order’s standing (dot and checkmark icons)
- View extra particulars in regards to the order (eye icon)
How To Create WooCommerce Coupons
Assuming you could have coupons enabled (that’s the default setting), you'll be able to create new coupons by going to WooCommerce → Coupons → Add coupon:
On the following web page, you’re in a position to:
- Specify the kind of low cost and quantity
- Add an expiration date
- Restrict utilization by quite a few choices
- Set just a few totally different utilization limits
How To View WooCommerce Reports
WooCommerce experiences make it easier to perceive how your retailer is doing. They inform you issues like:
- Your general gross sales for a interval
- Number of orders
- Items offered
- Coupon utilization
- Refunded order price
- And loads extra
You can entry your experiences by going to WooCommerce → Reports and utilizing the:
- Tabs on the high
- Date vary selectors
Honestly, WooCommerce’s built-in experiences aren’t that good. You can discover third-party instruments that supply far more element. Speaking of…
Some Helpful WooCommerce Extension Plugins For More Functionality
As I discussed within the introduction, one of many causes WooCommerce is so common is as a result of it’s really easy to prolong and customise with plugins.
There are 1000's of WooCommerce plugins, so I actually received’t give you the chance to talk about your whole choices.
But what I can do is:
- Show you the place to discover WooCommerce plugins
- Share a few of our favourite particular person plugins
To get began, listed below are some good common locations to search for WooCommerce extensions:
As for particular person plugins, we’ve truly already written two posts about some useful WooCommerce extensions:
And listed below are a few of my private favorites:
- Jilt – an superior device to make it easier to get better deserted carts (that's, conditions the place somebody provides an merchandise to their cart however doesn’t full the checkout).
- Metorik – a massively-improved WooCommerce analytics and reporting resolution.
- Booster for WooCommerce – this plugin is principally like Jetpack to your WooCommerce retailer. It provides virtually 100 modular tweaks.
- Beeketing for WooCommerce – Beeketing is a conversion-focused plugin that payments itself as “a comprehensive automated sales & marketing solution for WooCommerce online stores.”
Get Out There And Start Selling Stuff!
And that wraps up our huge WooCommerce tutorial! While I attempted to simplify the method as a lot as attainable – there’s solely a lot simplification that you would be able to apply to organising an eCommerce retailer!
If you learn this information and nonetheless aren’t certain if WooCommerce is for you, you may want to take a look at a few of our comparability posts the place we examine WooCommerce vs Shopify and WooCommerce vs iThemes Exchange.
And for those who did determine to use WooCommerce, you could be fascinated about extra superior matters like how to set up Google Analytics goals for PayPal/WooCommerce.
As all the time, if in case you have any questions or ideas, we’d love for those who left a remark!